Monday, December 17, 2012

Black and White

You are like the Devil
How many names does that one have
Calculating     Charismatic     Cruel
Made up of only what he desires

I’ve been crazed in love with you devil man
But I’ll not be in league with you again, I see
Coyote gone mad
Chasing your own tail
Tragic, beautiful life

Coyote was a pup once, I saw him then
Silky wiggly sweet, constant kisses from that little wild tongue
Ah the dear prankster, clever beyond a pup’s years,
The element of surprise his cunning
Eyes that held a more mature mystery, hard to look in them, yellow, and way out there
But when this pup would kiss my face then scamper away
Who cared, or took heed from those eyes
So dear was he.

I cried harder than I’ve ever cried the week after I met you again, years later
Full grown, and completely stunning, brilliant genius
Realizing I was going to die with this love, with somebody like you in your black and whites
I sobbed uncontrollably, unable to walk away then
Wrote more than I’ve ever written, the good stuff
Yes, I was a lost soul there for a bit; the crazed artist, alongside you
Interesting to note though
I haven’t cried much since you embraced me firmly for the tossing
I didn’t know how far you’d hurled me till I was bashed
You bought me the ring of our hopes, full circle
Whispered your deepest prayer in my ear, that dark, amazing night

And the very next day you put on lovely music, special, just for me
And as you walked out the door, waving jauntily
“Send me your love” you said
“Do not write, do not call, you laughed
I could not breathe

Now I know where all your art went.
All your enchanted women…
But I have your wild Indian, on his journey
And I’m keeping it close with my prayer
I do send my love, my eyes are dry, but old now.
The other words I have for you are temporary, so unspoken
For it’s true—I do love you more than what I want from you

That meant “nothing” to your calloused broken heart
What happened to you growing up, when did the suffering begin?
Marry the next sweet pup, Old Coyote
But just cut her throat when you’re finished with her
Be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment