Saturday, August 21, 2010

Reciprocity in Relationships

When my cousin and I visit, I want to know how her life has gone since I saw her last: what has excited her, what has been frustrating, what milestones have happened, how has she grown--in her own eyes?  I ask questions and want to hear her answers, whether or not I am personally interested in each topic--in fact, usually, I am not.  But because these things are important to my cousin, they are important to me, because she is important to me.  My Dad used to call it 'developing a synthetic interest' in another's interests.  This seems to me to be one of the most important ways we show that we are genuinely interested in another person, whether or not we personally get anything out of their interests or not.

Recently I have come up against the same reaction in almost all of my relationships with loved ones, be they sibling or cousin or friend.  If I dare to broach the subject of what interests me, it's like ZZZZZZIP!  Not one sound comes out of their mouth, certainly no words of interest, synthetic or otherwise. 

I know why, to some extent.  The things I am interested in are considered by many to be baloney, woo-woo, silly, impossible, delusionary.  I understand why they feel this way, because it took me a few years to shift my way of thinking--American, CONCRETE, everything has to be touchable, provable, or at the very least, scientific.  Well, the things I study are getting into mainstream science: I know this, but most do not.  Reiki and other lightbody work is being studied at most major hospitals around the world (because they've noticed that their patients get better much more quickly if they get it).   Can my relations even hear this last fact?  No.  Does not compute.  They silently allow me to finish my (by now) brief mention of what I am studying, and then politely change the subject.  Now, I know I am important to them, so why are they so disrespectful, so patronizing?  "Let Sarah just finish, she's always been a little out there...." is what it feels like.  I have very little interest in my loved ones' interests: race-car driving, economics, politics, Russian culture, culinary arts, computers, the modern Christian Church, metal work, skateboarding, on and on and on.....but I AM interested in each of these people, so I want to know about at least the progress each has made in their chosen areas of interest.    I find race-car driving idiotic, Russian culture irrelevant, skateboarding dangerous and frivolous, economics dull, ditto with computers, etc, but I ask questions and I listen because I get to hear what makes each of these dear, amazing people TICK, get to hear their excitement, their passion, and I love that.  And along the way, rarely, my interest is piqued.  And the relationship is fed, with the interest coming in  from my end.

Along the way, I may even learn a thing or two, or imagine this: EVOLVE a little by opening up and just listening to something I would otherwise disregard.

I wish that some of these people would at least hear what I have to say about what many consider to be cutting edge Science, would put down their walls of ignorance, and just listen.  They say they are so open minded, but their thinking is as stuck in the past as a hillbilly is stuck on the mountain.  Energy Medicine is real, it works, and it's free.  Anyone can do it with practice, and with more practice, one can see into another's aura and even the body, to diagnose what is wrong and know how to fix it. 

It took me awhile to break out of the concrete, but LO!  There is Light!  And wow, I wish my loved ones could see it.

5 comments:

  1. Funny, one of my brothers and I were talking about family members viewing each other, today. I believe the person you know - family or old friend - is fixed in your mind and you in his/hers at an early point and his/her view doesn't change. Thus as family members change, especially if they go away and return different, no notice is taken and no matter what you do, short of slaying all with an axe, they will fit the new stuff into the old view and keep on going. This is why folks leave home - maybe it is part of our genetic push to get the hell out and get into a new family (of course the genes didn't learn much either - so they still program us for a life that ends at 40 or 45 years of age). Additionally there are buzz words that send people's internal tapes to playing. If I begin, "Once when I went to Safeway, this man said...", people will listen with fair attention. If I begin, "Once when I went to the suq in Riyadh, this man said..." - It's "Oh, he's place-dropping again", or "Oh, I can't relate to this" or whatever kicks in and people will (sometimes) politely wait for me to finish so they can get back to what's REAL, even though the anecdote is identical except for location. And if your words sound like advice or admonition to change - they will snap shut as quickly as you would if invited to a lynching. They won't change, because they are family. Your only option is to find new 'family' for that topic. Well, that or the axe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. David--the thing is, I HAVE allowed for them to change, to shift all over the place, and they are as smart as I, and most of them far more 'accomplished'. Maybe I am just a whale of a lot smarter than they are afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember before I started making collages, or started to paint, I had stupid ideas about art. Plain ignorance. And I even knew too little to know what I had missed. Now when I talk to my friends about art, I can relate to their mindless eyes - just like I was before. I will spare their lives by changing the topic :-))
    However, people who pay attention to my work, I don't take it for granted. I know they are not there for my work, but for me. And you, my sis, is one of the most supportive people. I know you love me and it means mountains to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your position all too poignantly, Onebeam. I've learned not to offer much in the way of my own esoteric beliefs; people lose interest very quickly and I am loath to alienate them--I haven't that many friends, to begin with.

    Since our days back at Spaces, I have continued my life journey along the less-traveled path and have found it to be a lonesome, yet fulfilling trek. I feel stronger in my intuition, trust my own wisdom more, and when opportunity presents itself to offer help to someone else, I do what I can, as far as I am allowed.

    I've learned that each of us is at our own unique place in the life journey, and each of us will accept insight and wisdom to the extent we are able at that point. Some are more open than others, which is as it should be.

    My feeling is that the next few years may be challenging on many levels as the conservative tide rises to sweep away anything opposing it, but I take comfort in the knowledge that the cosmic pendulum continually seeks its center. No matter how far right or left it may swing, or for how long it might remain there, it is obliged to return to its center.

    We can only appreciate those brief times when it rests, centered, before the next swing to an extreme.

    I wish you peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this entry, I am also so different from my friends, my family is open to new and different things, my partner is accepting, but we differ greatly on the world in general...but does close off easily...love you

    ReplyDelete