Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Animal Assists

The other day I decided to do a led-meditation, which when it works is really a deep hypnosis, regarding power animals.  Generally speaking, I don't get much from this sort of meditation, so I was pretty surprised at the results this time.

In the meditation, I found myself wanting to stay in the meadow, under the warm sun as described by the leader...but it wasn't to be.  Suddenly I was sitting next to a small river, on a grassy bank in the mottled sun and shade.  Much to my honest surprise, out of the water slipped a little river otter!  He came up to me, sniffed my face, and I could feel his whiskers and sniffling breath as he did so.  Good Lord!   This was so real!  Before he slithered back into the river, he gave me a river stone, as a symbolic gift.  When I held this to my heart, I felt an instantaneous sense of belonging to the Whole Flow, and a grounding based in Love.  Later the next day, I found out from a friend that an otter will often keep a stone under his arm while swimming around, and using it as a tool to crack open the shells of whatever he finds for food.    I think this tool will be very handy, if I keep my eyes open for the things that feed me...

Then yesterday I decided to ask a friend if she wanted to do the meditation and see what cropped up.  When it was over, I was again surprised by the result.  I was inclined to sit under a large tree in the deep forest....and a wolf walked up to me, sat down, then stood again, looking right at me.  When I asked my question, which had to do with a new fork in my earth-world path, the wolf acted like he wanted me to follow him, so follow I did.  He took me to his den, where there were several squirming wolf-pups, and his mate, lying there panting.  The message here was clear: One of my choices was to take on the responsibility of settling down and taking on new responsibility.  I felt myself cringe inside....but Wolf wasn't done.  He trotted on, and I followed him to the high edge of a canyon ridge-top, and we gazed down into a very deep canyon that was brimming with mystery, mists floating among the many possibilities that a large canyon can contain--all the color, wildness, life itself--free--and promising the experiences of a lifetime.  Freedom to explore new lands, new arenas in my life!

We returned to the tall tree in the deep forest.  Wolf also had a gift: a small green sprig of Pine tree, fresh and fragrant.  When I held it to my heart to feel the message, I got a strong sensation: NEW LIFE!!   

Then Wolf took off, glancing back at me repeatedly, teasing, wanting to play.......

4 comments:

  1. I envy you, Sarah. I have never experienced such insight as the result of an exercise in meditation; my mind is too restless and unquiet. The few times I've attempted to quiet my mind I've failed and felt deficient somehow.

    The messages--if you want to call them that--I receive in the course of my day are little clues and bursts of insight which happen when one experience appears to be a metaphor for something else, and I see metaphors everywhere these days.

    I have a question: are Otter and Wolf creatures which have held meaning for you prior to the meditation experiences?

    I wish you peace and wisdom in your journey, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marge, hello! (I got your 2nd email and will write more later today) No, wolf and otter have never come to me before. In actual reality, Eagle has come to me often, and always at a time when I am struggling with a huge question. Everyone of course hopes their power animal will be something 'larger than life', like Wolf, or Eagle, or Bear.....so I was so surprised when Otter showed up! Completely out of the blue. When I read what Otter people are like, it was exactly me, and the question I had in mind when he showed up was "Who is my animal?" Most of the power animal descriptions have at least some similarity to anyone....but this one was Spot On, ringing bells in every word.

      I too have never had much luck with this sort of meditation, or any meditation for that matter--as I am also a little busy-minded and restless. But I keep trying from time to time, and have made a more concerted effort of late, as I know it is really what I need--to calm and center myself. Alot of info/insight is coming in right now (in these times) and will come in more readily for those who keep knocking, getting quiet. Guided meditation is always easier for me, as I have something 'to do'--listen to another voice. You might want to give it another go-round, you might be very surprised! If you want recommendations for CD's, I can give you a couple. I don't know how to make copies with this laptop.....if I learn, I can send you one.

      Delete
  2. Because I've got major issues with Google which have compelled me to dump all my Google products and activity. I'm scuttling "What Was I Thinking?", Sarah, and will be setting up shop on WordPress.

    I'll send you a link to the new blog--which won't be too different from the old one--in a few days.

    The soylentgreen email address remains open to you and I look forward to staying in touch with you.

    Peace, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO different from you! I can't even imagine having this kind of experience - I have found on the few occasions I have tried hypnosis, for instance, I have resisted it successfully. When I try meditation on my own, I get bored in two minutes, or I get my something in my head that I follow and forget that I am meditating. What actually seems to come closest for me to getting me to see things clearly - in the way you describe here - is writing. No wonder I avoid it so assiduously - to my regret, afterwards. Truly, the one great regret of my life is that I didn't pursue writing as a career. I have learned from my brother as well as things I have read and observed that the only way to be good at anything, even if one is a genius, is to work at it over and over and over.

    From the outside perspective, the wolf seemed to be offering the the den and the canyon as choices, not a sequence - but you are the visionee, not I.

    ReplyDelete