Friday, November 23, 2012

The Last Play

Forgive my attraction to Your man
How can I find resistance—there is no footfall for reverse
I am not the one who directs the strings
For is it not Your Dream?   Your Name
Remains on my lips as I shudder my acquiescence
My eyelids slowly rise with the curtain
My heart thuds, right here, right here
Affirming my powerlessness as Your character
A bit part I was told, but really, are there any in You?
You are the Writer, and the Audience
The welcoming applause, answering my fervent sweat for comfort
The Yes of affirmation:  “Fear not, for I am with you!”,  You mouth the silent words
I’ll speak the lines then that I am given, have memorized, no prompting needed
And know it’s up to me to find the resonance that conjures faith
Then stride with confidence, deliberation,  from stage right to stage left,  my costume perfect
Pausing aglow at the front to join the male in this story, my love
I cannot change the lines, the choreography
I’m no longer fitful with false pretense of authorship
But I did pass the audition
So feats, carry me well, keep my head high, bright in the Light
I am Your earnest actress, and only then, the partner for Your actor, leading
The curtain fall will find us: Yours, bowing before You
The unison of that motion, the timing
Yet to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment